and of course, the abba comparisons were endless. two guys, two girls -- one blonde, one brunette -- from sweden making catchy pop music. but their sounds were distinctly different. and like it or not, ace of base paved the way for an onslaught of scandanavian pop acts to emerge in the u.s. music scene in the '90s and early '00s, including the cardigans and robyn.
jonas berggren formed the band in 1987 with two friends, and employed his two sisters, linn and jenny, as the singers. when the two friends left, ulf ekberg joined. after struggling for several years to find their sound, an audience and secure a label, they finally achieved minor success in europe in 1992 with their singles "wheel of fortune" and "happy nation." but it was their third single, "all that she wants," that helped them to achieve international success. that was quickly followed by "the sign" -- the #1 song of 1994 in billboard's year-end charts -- "don't turn around," and "living in danger."
- the sign - from the sign
- into the night of blue - b-side to single everytime it rains
- dr. sun - from flowers
- never gonna say i'm sorry - from the bridge
- all that she wants - from happy nation/the sign
- life is a flower - from flowers
- living in danger - from the sign
- beautiful life - from the bridge
- summer days - from da capo
- don't turn around - from the sign
* i posted a similar mash-up last month, but this one is much better!